The trendy organic Whole Foods Market chain issued a press release Friday announcing that, as a “small token of our appreciation” to U.S. forces fighting abroad, they were offering free shipping of the five holiday boxes they have created as “care” packages for the troops.
The sentiment is nice, but the choice of items to send to soldiers makes me think the Whole Foods folks are a bit out of touch with the realities of the war zone.
But you decide for yourself.
Here are the items:
- The Gift of Grub ($60). Summer sausage, pretzel crisps, aged cheddar cheese straws, peppermint stick chocolate, classic shortbread and gourmet pecans.
- You’re Zenzational ($60). Soothing lavender lotion and shower gel, mineral bath salts, a sleep mask, a bath pillow, and even a candle and tea to further calm the soul.
- Get Warm, Get Fuzzy ($50). Specialty coffee, tea and hot chocolate paired with caramel sweetener, fruit-and-nut mix, mocha wafers, biscotti bites and dark chocolate espresso beans.
- You Rock Box o’ Choc ($50). Chocolates, dipped sandwich cookies and brownie bites, peanut butter chocolate wafers, chocolate cherry trail mix and hot chocolate.
- Ciao Down ($40). Italian herb pasta sauce, basil pesto, extra virgin olive oil crostini, dry roasted almonds and truffled espresso clusters. Buon Appetito!
No doubt this will lead to plenty of barter down at the KOP.
Something like: “Hey sarge, I’ll trade you some crostini for the lavender lotion —I felt really smelly out here.”